What can I expect from PSYCHOTHERAPY?
“What would make our time together most useful for you? What are your Best Hopes from therapy or coaching?”
These are typical questions Amaechi will ask you at the beginning of your session. As a solution-oriented therapist, her focus is on recognising strengths, identifying resources and creating a clear picture of your desired future. This does not mean that your problems are ignored, on the contrary! You and Amaechi will work together to figure out the solutions to whatever brought you into the office in the first place. You may be surprised to leave your first session with more hope and clarity than you expected when you first made the appointment.
Amaechi works with adults and children, as well as couples and families.
WHO comes for Psychotherapy?
- People seek therapy for different reasons. Many of our younger clients are referred by their schools or healthcare professionals, while most adults are self-referred or find us through the recommendation from a doctor.
- However, anyone wishing to discover more about themselves, to improve, change or deal with something in their lives differently can come for therapy. Therapy can be a great way to identify and create the future you prefer, whether it is to deal with painful experiences, unhealthy habits, to cope better with loss, stress or relationship troubles, or as a way back to joy and hope.
- Typically sessions last 45 to 60 minutes. The number of sessions varies; some clients reach their desired outcome within a few sessions, others take longer. Each person’s journey is unique and most people experience therapy as a safe space to process, heal and express themselves without judgement.
- Therapy can also be healthy and empowering for children and adolescents when dealing with emotional stressors that may impact daily functioning. Stressors may include struggles with self-esteem, dealing with bullying, the need to improve social skills, coping with bereavement, change, peer pressure, anxiety and more.
- Here are some common examples of why people seek out Amaechi’s services
- Low Mood
- Anxiety and Worry
- Life and Work Stress
- Postnatal Depression
- Low Self Esteem
- Life Transitions
- Relationship Issues
- Bereavement and Loss
- Dealing with Adjustment (e.g. in the current pandemic)
- Living with chronic illness
Do you prescribe MEDICATION?
No, psychologists are not medical doctors and we do not prescribe medication. However, if medication or medical advice is needed, we will refer you to a medical doctor either at Premier Care or outside. We support and empower our clients to reach their desired mental health and life outcomes through talk therapy and we work closely with your medical doctors when needed.